Rumor Update: iPhone 5S May Stick to In-Cell Technology

13 Dec

A while ago, one of the widespread rumors concerning the iPhone 5S is that Apple will be seeking to bring down production costs by changing the types of components used. As covered in one of our earlier articles, these include the new iPhone’s aluminum casing and in-cell panel, parts which are believed to have contributed to the devices’ complicated manufacturing scheme, high production costs, and eventual supply shortage.

While the implementation of 5S-specific changes can be reasonably assumed, there’s been some speculation regarding how the touch-screen component will remain unchanged from the iPhone 5. As recently indicated by sources close to Trendinsider, production efficiency of in-cell panels have improved dramatically in recent periods, so much so that switching to solutions such as the OGS will not only beunnecessary, but also potentially more costly for the Cupertino company.

For this quarter, the iPhone 4S currently accounts for approximately 20% of iPhone sales. The other 80%, not surprisingly, belongs to the iPhone 5, whose market performance has been picking up now that the shortage problem has been resolved.

Even now, there’s been different theories regarding how the 5S’s specs will compare to those of the current iPhone 5. A popular belief is that the model will be a cheaper, mid-end iPhone, one whose price is affordable enough to be attractive in emerging markets. However, if the 5S utilizes a more advanced processor than the current A6, and if it integrates NFC functionality, then perhaps the iPhone 5 will be the one to enter into the mid-end category.

One Response to “Rumor Update: iPhone 5S May Stick to In-Cell Technology”


  1. iOS 7, New iPhone Reportedly in the Works | Trendinsider - January 2, 2013

    […] in our earlier articles, whether it is in regards to its potential new capabilities or its targeted mid-end market. PressBlue has interestingly noted that the iPhone 5S may come in additional colors, meaning […]

Comments are closed.